Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Word to All You Mamas

I know its not Mother's Day, but I'd still like to give a shout out to all you mamas out there... especially you mamas with multiple kids. I only have one and I joke that she's like having at least two, but I know that's not true. On Tuesdays, I watch a friend's daughter who is still and infant and this is by far my most challenging day of the week. Sometimes I pretend that I'm one of the Incredibles, going from room to room deflecting trouble and saving lives. Within a few hours, I spared my daughter from downing a bottle of baby ibuprofen, falling off a table, and pooping on the floor. Also, thanks to my supermompowers, the baby was stopped from chewing and/or swallowing possibly hundreds, no... thousands, of tiny objects or wires. And not only did everyone survive today- we all were in generally good moods. But this was a good day. For whatever reason, I was more on top of my game today. Lord knows why... my goal to sleep better this week is not going well, which might or might not have something to do with starting my daughter on a toddler bed last night. Note to self- when introducing a new sleep zone, probably best to have it set up prior to bedtime rather than an hour after. The kid might as well have been given an injection of pure sugar straight into her veins. I've never seen so much unbridled enthusiasm in the form of jumping (on the bed, of course).

Usually, Tuesdays are a tailspin of diapers, meals, fake naps, real naps (if we're lucky), Elmo, hide-and-seek, etc., etc., all of which prohibit me from finishing a single cup of coffee.

I don't know how all you moms do it out there. Honestly... there are two things that blow my mind in the realm of feasibility- one is doing pull-ups and the other is raising more than one child. Seriously... I didn't go outside all day until the baby's momma picked her up. How do moms of multiple kids ever breath fresh air? This is not to say that I don't want more; I just don't understand how the world is so populated. I could understand the feasibility of it better if I had at least 2 laps, 4 hands, and no need for sleep.

All this to say is that I appreciate there is a challenge of finding zen. Its one thing to make goals for better sleep, more exercise, a chipper attitude, and less caffeine dependency... its another thing to accomplish it with everything in life that puts these goals to the test. But it is possible... somehow... even with kids... I think. The times in my life that I've felt at my best were when I'd get up earlier than usual to read something invigorating and get my blood pumping a little. So I'll try that again and see if it works with having a kid. I'll let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment